Mudskippers + Sea Ponies
Las Trampas offers two program options for our pre-swim team children:
- SEA PONIES (formerly called Developmental Seahorses)
2023 Program Dates
- May 30 - July 25, Monday through Friday
- Holiday Break: July 3-7
Key Dates and Notes for the Mudskipper + Sea Pony programs:
- March 1 at 1:00 PM: Registration opens to returning LTST families (families who participated in swim team programs in 2022)
- March 5 at 1:00 PM: Registration opens to returning LT Pool families, who are new to swim team-sponsored programs in 2023
- March 15: Registration opens to LT Associate Member families (families who joined the pool in 2023).
- Registration will close when the program reaches maximum capacity. Please be advised that this program typically reaches capacity quickly. Please see information below regarding adding your child to the Waiting List if the program is full when you attempt to register.
- If you are unsure about your child's readiness for Swim Team vs. Sea Ponies, please register him/her for Sea Ponies. Sea Ponies has a more limited capacity than swim team. It is more feasible for us to move a child from Sea Ponies --> Swim Team (if the Assessment proves readiness) than the reverse.
- March 14 and April 1: Assessment Days. Assessments are REQUIRED for children age 8 & under who are new to LTST programs. Please plan to attend one of these Assessment days. Sign up for an Assessment time HERE.
- May 30: First day of Mudskippers + Sea Ponies. On this first day, each child will have a designated arrival time (we'll send a Signup Genius). The Coaches and Directors will confirm that each swimmer safely meets the minimum requirements of the programs, as well as determine which group is appropriate for each swimmer's ability level. These evaluations are very low-key.
- May 31: Swimmers begin attending practice with their assigned practice group, as identified on the first day.
- July 3 - July 7: No practice; Independence Day Holiday Break
- Program cost: $360 per swimmer. Additional credit card processing fee applies to all charges. Registration is required for each swimmer before entering the water. There will be no refunds after June 2nd.
Mudskippers is a pre-swim team program. Mudskipper participants can expect to have fun, meet and make friends, and work on swim skills, strength, and endurance necessary to become an LT Seahorse.
The shared goal of the Mudskipper program is for swimmers to complete 25 yards freestyle without stopping. Mudskippers receive instruction from 14-18 year old LTST swimmers, under the supervision of the Mudskippers Head Coach. The instructor to swimmer ratio will vary daily but is typically 2-3 swimmers per in-water coach.
Is your child ready to be a Mudskipper?
- Must be at least 3 years old as of June 15, 2023
- Is comfortable in the water and enters pool voluntarily. If your child cries or is resistant to participate, they may not be ready for this program.
- Is able to float and kick on front and back with support
- Is able to exhale underneath water surface (i.e., blow bubbles)
- Is able to hold onto the wall and show attentiveness to the coach
- Typical age range for Mudskippers is 3 to 5 years old.
The Mudskipper season culminates in a Mudskipper Debut is where Mudskippers show us what they have learned! Friends and family are invited to this event. Coaches will be in the water to lend a helping hand if needed. The Debut date is to be determined.
Sea Ponies (formerly called Developmental Seahorses), is designed for those swimmers who have met all the qualifications for a Mudskipper and are swim safe, but are not yet able to swim a full 25 yards without stopping to tread water, hang on the lane line, or hold onto a coach.
Is your child ready to be a Sea Pony?
- Meets all qualifications of Mudskipper program (above)
- Has prior swimming lesson experience
- Is able to jump into deep water and return to wall
- Is able to submerge to a depth of 3-feet and retrieve an object
- Is able to swim (any style) at least 5 yards unassisted
- Can approximate at least two of the four competitive strokes (typically freestyle and backstroke)
- Typical age range for Sea Ponies is 4-6 years old.
The goal for our Sea Ponies is to gain the confidence and skills enabling them to join the swim team for the last Home meet of the season (or sooner!). With parent approval, Sea Ponies will swim against each other in at least one exhibition event (race) at that Home meet.
Sea Ponies also participate in the Mudskipper Debut. Families are encouraged to attend and cheer for their swimmer!
There are no volunteer requirements for families with just Mudskipper / Sea Pony swimmers. Costs for both programs are the same.
Registration in the Mudskipper / Sea Pony programs will be limited in order to maintain a safe coach-to-swimmer ratio. Our youngest and least experienced swimmers need small groups and ample space to learn and practice their developing skills.
If the Mudskipper / Sea Pony programs have reached capacity upon your attempt to register, you may add your name to the Mudskipper / Sea Pony Waiting List. If a spot in the program becomes available, we will notify the waitlisted families in order. Each family will have 24 hours to respond before we move to the next family on the list.